Sunday, April 5, 2009

Volunteering - Easter Egg Hunt

This past Saturday I completed my volunteer requirement at my church at the annual children's Easter Egg Hunt. Kids from the church and kids from the community come with friends and families to participate in a huge egg hunt all over the church grounds. They also get a snack, hear a story and watch a great puppet show. I love helping out with this event every year because it is just so much fun. Seeing the looks on all the kid's faces when they find an egg is priceless!

This year I helped with the one to four year old group (my favorite). They are so cute and excited about events like this. First, everyone watched the puppet show, which I was the star of (my voice, anyway) then we broke into our smaller groups and mine went to story time. This was probably the most difficult part of the day because it is hard to get 25 one to four year old kids to sit still and quiet through a ten minute story. But all in all it went pretty smoothly. Next we moved on to the snack room where I helped pass out cupcakes, jellybeans, goldfish and apple juice. After all the kids ate we made our way outside to the main event, the hunt. The little kids get to hunt all over the playground and after trying to explain the whole concept we opened the gates and let them go crazy. There were at least a hundred eggs in this little area so every kid got plenty. I had such a fun time helping them find the hidden eggs and helping them reach the ones up high. After every egg was in a basket we had to go back inside and make sure every kid found their parent or who they came with. After that I helped clean up a little bit.

I had a blast at the Easter Egg Hunt this year, it doesn't even feel like work when I see these cute kids get so excited and leave with huge smiles on their faces. The best part was that I knew a lot of the kids this year because of the other work I do with the little kids at church, like Sunday School and Vacation Bible School. It is all worth it when they run up to you, give you a big huge and thank you for being there with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment